Tuesday, August 10, 2010

7.25.2010

++Odd for God++

Do you ever feel like the decisions you make for yourself or your family go against what's the 'norm'? I find myself in this situation quite often. One of my latest decisions was to home school my children. Not a lot of people in our family support this decision. And as I understand their concerns for the welfare of my children, this was a decision I prayerfully considered. And one I feel strongly that God has led me to home schooling.
But this brings me to my point of the sermon. So many people want you to follow the 'norm'.
It is easier and normal to the world. It is what we are used to seeing everyday. But who's to say it is the correct way?
Apart from my earlier example of home schooling and onto the example used in our service (Star Wars). There is evil out there. These forces of darkness want us back on their side. To turn our backs on Jesus. To love ourselves.
And at times, no matter how much we want to be faithful we give into our temptations. Every one of us. But as Christians we know that we can ask for forgiveness and choose to follow what is good and righteous. Christians are odd. We don't want to conform to what others want us to be. We want to be what God created us to be. And we do this by following the path of Scripture.
Scripture tells us to LOVE.

To love the Lord your God with all your heart
and To love your neighbor as yourself.

But God doesn't expect us to do this all on our own.
God gives us armor.
He gives us the breastplate of righteousness.
The helmet of hope and salvation.
The shield of faith.
Shoes of readiness to go forth and share the good news.
The belt of truth.
& the sword of the Spirit
With all this God given armor, we are never without Christ's presence.

Jesus was odd. And as Christians aren't we just trying to be like Him?

Scripture:
Ephesians 6:10-17

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Love the new page layout and so happy to have new updates! Keep up the great work through Him, Nicole! You are awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you feel the 'tug' on your heart to do this! How awesome that others can come here and read your beautiful "translation" of the sermon. Awesome job!
    Admittedly - this is my first time checking this out. Thank you for the link. After our discussions tonight, I do feel, not only for your prescious time, but for how many people will be blessed by being able to read your input, that combining all together on the FaceBook page is a good thing. You have my vote.
    God Bless - and I hope you feel much better soon!

    ReplyDelete